Old 06-06-2009, 07:38 AM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_7_] Billy[_7_] is offline

Default Does Tomato Blossom Set Spray Work???

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article , "Kelly Greene"
wrote:

"hr(bob) " wrote in message
Saw an ad for Tomato Blossom Set Spray in this week's hardware
circular. I don't have any idea if it really works or not. Does
anyone have any first (or even second)-hand experience with this
stuff?

Bob Hofmann

A healthy outdoor tomato plant needs no spray to set fruit. The
breeze will do it.

http://gardening.about.com/od/organi...psom_Salts.htm

Do Epsom Salts Really Help Plants Grow Better?
Researchers have never been terribly impressed with the effects of
Epsom salts on plants.
(snip)
However, experienced gardeners have been swearing by Epsom salts for
years, and folk wisdom is often ahead of scientific study.
-----

I'll be trying it as soon as the night time temp gets above 55F.

You are giving your plants a quick hit of soluble magnesium, if this was
what was required you would get noticable results and find it worked even
quicker as a foliar spray than on the ground.

While folk wisdom is often right but it lacks the mechanisms to be sure and
to tease out real effects from mere ritual and side issues. Science has the
better methods but the scope of its work is too often bound by what makes
money. Personally I am trying to give the desire for perfect methods as I
see no prospect of realisation.

David

Ah, the rational mind. What a wonder it is. Don't stop. Continue.
--

- Billy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En2TzBE0lp4