Old 07-06-2009, 01:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Holy pot shards, Batman!

I should add something. The reason I am so sure it was a tornado is the
pattern. The south side of the pool and patio area got wind and rain, but
stayed intact. The west side and the northwest side (what we call the lanai,
to differentiate it) were the areas trashed. And even there, the
northernmost portion was okay. Some spaces right next to damage were wet, of
course, but unharmed. So it was very targeted.

Now that it's over, it was interesting, to say the least.

Diana

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
news
We're done out there for the day ; it's raining again. Plants are back in
place, at least. Now it's just a dirty mess, but we'll get to that.

Broken pots have lots of uses - bottom of a pot, mounts, etc. But these
things are in little pieces, and are now in the trash.

Diana

"tenman" wrote in message
Diana Kulaga wrote:
Wow! We had a storm come through here about an hour and a half ago.
Sheets of water like waves in Mexico washing over Phals, galvanized pipe
came down, and the orchids with it, Vandas in the pool, including that
big Ascocentrum curvifolium that some of you may recall. Benches cleared
in the lanai.

Had to be a small twister. Picked up as much as possible (everything is
off the ground) and will make repairs tomorrow AM. Broken pots, broken
pbulbs, broken sheaths. At one point we actually went into the laundry
room with the cat for a minute or so, because it's the most interior
room with no glass. An area with no glass is hard to find in our house.

What a mess. So much for repotting tomorrow.

Diana

Save the larger potsherds - for mounts! That nodosa of mine I posted pics
on abpo a while back has been in bloom on four spikes for about two
monhts now - on a mount of nothing but a good-sized piece of a broken
8-inch pot!