Old 24-02-2003, 03:51 PM
Gary Woods

Default Gardening Record Keeping Software

Pat Meadows wrote:

Yet another joker.

Hey, it's stuff like this that keeps my killfile from being boring. He
posted the same response again.

I'm not that battle-scarred, unless writing a printer "wedge" to insert
CRLF delays on a VIC-20 counts.

Depending on what you want to track, Excel works pretty well. I keep a
yearly garlic ledger in a spreadsheet so I can follow yields, survival,
etc.

shameless plug
To be found on my personal web page, in the .sig below.
Warning: Only OCD types need look.
/shameless plug

As for your original question, pretty much lost in Usenet bit rot: what
kind of record keeping are you concerned with? There are a lot of cheep
shareware database apps if you want to emulate a card file, and I've seen
mention of CAD software for the landscaping types.

I keep a yearly Turbocad drawing of my garden with associated text file, so
the drawing doesn't get too cluttered. Here's a snippet:
8/24:
B8: Pole Beans, "Romano" (own) 3 teepees g 6/2 poor germ; re-planted
w/sprouting seeds 6/15
B9: Blue potatoes, 36 sets (own; sprouting) g.5/31
Bush Bean Wide row "A" AKA future garlic bed 4' wide; 6X6 inches if not
otherwise noted:
C0: "Black Valentine" beans (own) 24' 5/28
Virtually no germ (too cold); re-pl w/D3 + D4
C1: "Sayamusume" Edible soybeans (Territorial) 1'X1' -8' 5/28
C2: "Vermont Cranberry" (own) 12' 5/29 g 6/10
C3: "Bright Lights" chard 4' X 8' 6/4 g.6/15
C4: leek "American Flag" own pl + 4 "Australian Brown" onion (own pl)6/4
And to give the Devil Her due, I do have a couple of text files chronicling
things like garlic varieties, when and where I got them, descriptions of
how they do here, etc.

"I'm Gary, and I'm a gardener."
Group: "Hi, Gary..."

Cabin fever, big time!