Old 12-06-2009, 01:37 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jeff[_14_] Jeff[_14_] is offline

Default Run, Rabbit, Run

wrote:
On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 10:51:16 -0400, Jeff wrote:

KC wrote:
On Jun 4, 10:02 pm, "Suzanne D." wrote:

I'm sure the animal shelter is full of cats that would love to chase
rabbits.
They ought to set some of them loose in the gardens.
--S.
I have 2 unclaimed cats that consider my backyard part of their
hunting territory. We have an agreement - they keep the critters out
of my garden and I don't notify the animal control folks. They've
upheld their part of the bargain except for the mole that's giving me
fits - they just don't want to get dirty digging him out.

I see cats catch moles, but I've never seen one eat one, apparently
they aren't very tasty. Mice are next down on the list. The perfect cat
food appears to be chipmunks. Everything else falls in the middle ground
and appears to be acceptable eating.

Jeff

According to Annie, a cat friend of mine, mole heads are quite tasty.

Really, got a recipe?

Kate - along with bird heads and mouse heads.

I've never seen a half eaten mole, and only occasionally a half eaten
mouse. Last night I found that small possums are also off the diet.

I have noticed that most cats eat their prey head first, I'm not sure
if that is out of convenience or whether they start at the tastiest end.

Jeff