Old 12-06-2009, 08:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default AT&T Usenet Netnews Service Shutting Down

Chris, as of July 15th I will have no choice but to use a new provider. ATT
(and therefore Bell South) is cutting access to Usenet all together.

Diana

wrote in message
On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 14:11:03 -0400 in
Diana Kulaga
wrote:
Motzarella, I seem to recall that you can only see posts that were
put
up by others also using that service. I could be wrong.

So, I'm not seeing your post, and you're not seeing mine.

Right.

While motzarella.org does carry alt.binaries.pictures.orchids,
few, if any, of its peers carry ANY binaries newsgroups.
And of those that do, they drop articles containing binaries.
It's sort of like having all phonecalls to or from your workplace
go through a receptionist that can see who the caller is and who
the person to be called is and drop them at whim. Except there is no
whim.

As I mentioned, USENET for binaries is dieing. As it's a rather
inefficient
distribution method that sends thousands of copies to thousands servers
where they'll usually never be read. Pick a picture distribution website
(Picasa, shutterfly, flickr, rotten.com...) and make your pictures
available
to people without accounts on the service. Then post the URL to the
gallery and a description of the gallery to whatever forum you're
using. Don't know which photo website to use... try all 4 and decide
which sucked the least for you to upload all your pictures and put
captions on them.
--
Chris Dukes
davej eskimos have hundreds of words for snow. I have two. Bullshit.