Old 13-06-2009, 01:33 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Kingfisher ?control?

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 18:13:18 EDT, ~ jan wrote:

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 09:55:07 EDT, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

I'm probably more concerned about liner damage now.
Jim

What kind of liner? I'd also like to know, but you probably don't know,
what kind of liner the other person had? I can't imagine these birds being
that dumb or going thru 45 ml EPDM. ~ jan

Both me and the site I read are EPDM - his is 40mil, mine is 45.
http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/...ory_birds.html
Dr. Adrian Lawler says;
"The local species in my area is the Belted Kingfisher (Ceryle
alcyon). It will dive into a pond and puncture the liner (40 mil HDPE
in my ponds) in shallow waters (usually 8" or less), causing leaks. I
have hundreds of holes along the edge of a large liner pond (12 by 60
feet by 4 feet deep) (40 mil HDPE) from kingfisher bill punctures.
They were diving after rosy-red fathead minnows, and eventually got
all of several thousand fish stocked out. The fatheads swam in schools
around the edge of the pond, presenting themselves as easy targets. "

I've seen them hit the water in streams and believe they can puncture
a liner. I wonder if the black liner throws off their depth
perception a bit.

This isn't a belted like I have- [colors are different, but they have
the same beak] but here's some cool video-
http://findik.tarim.gov.tr/users/melih/video/yali1.asp
and in slow motion.
http://findik.tarim.gov.tr/users/melih/video/vid.asp

Jim