Old 13-06-2009, 08:05 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Kingfisher ?control?

On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 08:33:52 EDT, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Both me and the site I read are EPDM - his is 40mil, mine is 45.
http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/...ory_birds.html
Dr. Adrian Lawler says;
"The local species in my area is the Belted Kingfisher (Ceryle
alcyon). It will dive into a pond and puncture the liner (40 mil HDPE
in my ponds) in shallow waters (usually 8" or less), causing leaks. I
have hundreds of holes along the edge of a large liner pond (12 by 60
feet by 4 feet deep) (40 mil HDPE) from kingfisher bill punctures.
They were diving after rosy-red fathead minnows, and eventually got
all of several thousand fish stocked out. The fatheads swam in schools
around the edge of the pond, presenting themselves as easy targets. "

If the above is what you read, he claims HDPE, which is High Density Poly
Ethylene, and being that it was round the edges... I'd be wondering how old
his liner was and what sun exposure it was subject to. According to my
in-house chemist HDPE isn't as puncture resistance as EPDM... not that I'm
saying you'd want to test that. I also believe it gets brittle in
sunlight.

This isn't a belted like I have- [colors are different, but they have
the same beak] but here's some cool video-
http://findik.tarim.gov.tr/users/melih/video/yali1.asp
and in slow motion.hav
http://findik.tarim.gov.tr/users/melih/video/vid.asp
Jim

Cool. Anyone notice the frog in the slow mo? I think that is the kind of
kingfisher we here. I know one summer I lost almost all my fantails to what
I believe must have been a kingfisher, no punctures in 45 ml EPDM. The next
year I put in a school of fake fish before I put more fish in. Hasn't been
back since, and now I have lots of flashy things over it, just like the koi
pond, besides the resident school of fake fish. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us