Old 18-06-2009, 08:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
[email protected] pakrat@usenet.pr.neotoma.org is offline

Default Thanks everyone

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 07:28:51 -0700 (PDT) in jankey wrote:

sorry, the only machine i have regular access to is the one at work,
and i suspect they'd have several things to say if i installed a
newsreader on it.

One thing I discovered years ago is that most companies allow their
employees to do entirely too much on the internet from work.
The other thing I discovered is almost every business with windows
computers that can surf the web have not locked down users from
downloading the putty ssh client and running that.

Combine that with a shell account... and you end up doing what I've
been doing for the past 19 years.

Anyways...

Putty
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~s.../download.html
For most of the population all you need is putty.exe or plink.exe.
If you want to get fancy, grab pscp, psftp, pageant, and puttygen

Free Unix shell accounts.
http://www.red-pill.eu/freeunix.shtml

If you're feeling masochistic, see if you can successfully do
'telnet news.eternal-september.org 119'
from a cmd.exe window
And if that works (You'll see something like
200 news.eternal-september.org InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.5.0 ready (posting ok)
)
type
'group motzarella.support'
'article 1'
'next'
'article'
'quit'

(Remove the single quotes. Hit return after each thing in single quotes)
Just keep track of article numbers on a sheet of paper and read through
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3977

and you can have an extremely low tech newsreader.

one of these days i'll get my own machine...and a digital camera.

Ah, but it's very important to have access to someone else's machine
preferably a someone else's machine sitting in another country.

--j_a

--
Chris Dukes
davej eskimos have hundreds of words for snow. I have two. Bullshit.