Old 20-06-2009, 07:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
CanopyCo CanopyCo is offline

Default Zucchini squash going bad.

On Jun 19, 10:36*am, Billy wrote:
In article ,

*"gunner" wrote:
"CanopyCo" wrote in message

My green zucchini squash is turning yellow and soft on the blossom end
before it is even big enough to do anything with.

Any idea why and how to make it stop?

Most likely its Blossom End Rot

http://vegetablegardens.suite101.com...ni_blossom_end...

Gunner's suggestion seems right on. The only other observation I would
make is "how are your bees?" I often have this problem, for the first
couple of weeks, when my squash start to produce. In the past, someone
in the group has given me things to do or think about and by the time
I'm ready to do them, the bees have arrived, and the problem goes away.
--

- Billy

There be no bees.
Not that I have seen anyway.
There once was a hive just next door, but they all died off for
unknown reasons.

I’ll start treatment for blossom end rot right now, and see if that
helps.
I notice that calcium deficiency is part of that problem.
Should I put some calcium vitamin pills in the dirt around the plant?