Old 24-06-2009, 08:17 PM posted to triangle.gardens
Derek Mark Edding Derek Mark Edding is offline

Default Fake snow on our azaleas

Hi Folks,

I was trimming some of the longer stems on our azaleas today, and
noticed that some of the farthest reaching ones had a layer of fluffy
white material coating parts of the stems.

It's just a few of the stems on each bush right now, and usually the
longest new growths. The white areas only cover part of the stems, no
more than a few inches.

I looked closely at the stuff, and there may be small bugs or spiders
involved. The material is moving a little in places. But these are not
bagworms. The white stuff is loose and floats away when disturbed.

These bushes have been here at least ten years, and I haven't seen this
before. It doesn't seem to be harming the plants. Anyone know what
it is? Is it harmful?

I've trimmed and bagged all of the places that had it, but will try to
get a photo when I find some more.

Thanks kindly,

-dreq