Old 01-07-2009, 11:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
jmbillings jmbillings is offline

Default Identify a thistle?

In the grounds of my office is a thistle I couldn't recognise from a
quick hunt online.

It is tall (at least 5 ft) and some points I noted were that it has
some short sharp barbs on the flats of the leaves, and also on the
stem- the ones on the stem start out sparse and get closer/smaller the
nearer to the next section where branches come out, then the process
repeats. It also had spiky green balls on the tops.

I found images of the bull, musk, spear and canada thistles online but
none looked entirely right...

I understand that a picture would probably be helpful, but I didn't
get one. Not sure if the above is really enough to go on though!