Old 03-07-2009, 11:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Vegetable foliage allergies

"David in Normandy" wrote
Anyone else have allergies to vegetable foliage?
I've just picked some courgettes and both arms are itching all over. I get
the same reaction picking runner beans. Spouse gets a similar response
with conifer foliage.

I must remember to wear a long sleeve shirt to pick runner beans. I've
planted a different variety of courgette seeds this year by accident, the
fruit are a deeper green and the leaves quite thorny - so I got prickled
as well as itches. frown They are growing fast though and have reached
the point that courgettes are being produced faster than we can eat /
freeze them. Pulled a small (10") marrow off just now.

My wife has an allergic reaction to cucurbits and she also suffers picking
runner beans just like you.
A neighbour cannot go near tomato plants although he usually has a
greenhouse full which his wife has to tend.
I have some sort of allergy to some conifer foliage but by no means all.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden