Old 06-07-2009, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Identify a thistle?

On 2009-07-04 00:03:13 +0100, "Christina Websell"
said:

If we are talking thistles, what is mine? It's 8 feet high,
multistemmed,
normal purple flowers just coming out. It's so big and wide I might have
cut it back so I can get down the garden.
My friend thinks it should be in the Guinness Book of Records.

Tina

Sounds like it could be a cardoon which is the cousin of an artichoke and
is mainly sold now for ornamental purposes. 8' high and wide sounds just
right. for Cynara cardunculus.

It's not 8 foot wide! merely 3 feet or so. I had a look at some web
images of cardoons and the bracts are not right, nor are the leaves. Thanks
for the idea though.
I think it must be a well-nourished spear thistle. I sprinkled the bed with
dried chicken manure last year, not the bought stuff, from my own chickens.

Tina