Old 06-07-2009, 11:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Identify a thistle?

In message , Christina Websell
writes

In message , Christina Websell
writes

If we are talking thistles, what is mine? It's 8 feet high, multistemmed,
normal purple flowers just coming out. It's so big and wide I might have
cut it back so I can get down the garden.
My friend thinks it should be in the Guinness Book of Records.

Tina

If it's normal purple flowers then I'd guess it's the normal spear thistle
(Cirsium vulgare). But other big, purple-flowered thistle-like plants
include cardoon, globe artichoke and cotton thistle.
--

I think you are probably right. It's growing next to a close board fence
which is 2 metres high plus gravel board and it's now 2 feet above that.

The books give the upper limit of the general run of a plant; bigger
specimens turn up. For example, Stace says that Malva sylvestris grows
to 1m, and Flora Europaea says 1.5m (I think that the difference is
geographic variation); however there was a plant locally which reached
2.5m, or maybe even 3m.

Tina

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley