Old 07-07-2009, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Datura - poisonous

hound wrote:
newish here - so after some sensible advice. I know Datura is poisonous
- but how poisonous? I'm not going to be eating it!!!!, but do I have to
wash my skin if I touch it by mistake, or is it not so dangerous?

It isn't quite that dangerous although don't lick your fingers. The
smell of datura sap is enough to put most people off eating it. I have
used the prolific seeds from mine in the past as greenhouse rodent bait.
The perfume from the flowers is divine on a warm evening.

They grow all over the continent as council bedding plants (but then so
do oleander and castor oil plants and they really are dangerous).

I don't think there are many plants that are in the serious contact
poison class apart from those that express urushiol (poison ivy etc).

A fair number will give you a nasty rash though and many things are
toxic if ingested. There is an interesting poisonous plant garden at
Alnwick castle - some of the nastier ones are well away from the path.

http://www.alnwickgarden.com/thegard...-poison-garden

They only allow guided tours and it is fully enclosed by fences.

Regards,
Martin Brown