Old 08-07-2009, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Datura - poisonous

On Jul 8, 11:41*am, Charlie Pridham
wrote:
In article 1c733797-269f-4296-9fd6-
,
says...

On Jul 8, 8:38*am, echinosum
wrote:
hound;855051 Wrote: Thank you all for your useful answers. I'll just treat it with respect,

and not lick my fingers after handling it. The local snails seem quite

happy to eat it, and a caterpillar is making its cocoon inside a leaf
that it has rolled up!!!

Well there are plenty of wee beasties that can happily eat death-cap
mushroom, but a mouthful is enough to kill a human. But put said wee
beasties in a jam jar with a few crushed laurel leaves, put the lid on,
and they'll soon be dead.

--
echinosum

Does it contain arsenic or some such poison?

Judith

Cherry Laural contains cyanide
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwallwww.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

Oooer!!!!!!!! I get a rash when I cut laurel! I also get a rash
touching borage, juniper and other stuff, hopefully there is nothing
that can be transferred via the hand, i.e. during normal gardening
jobs?

Judith