Old 11-07-2009, 11:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Suzanne D.[_2_] Suzanne D.[_2_] is offline

Default Can you re-use peat pellets?

"R M Watkin" wrote in message
I made a soil blocker. The soil has to be just right [ damp but not wet ]
and the right type of soil,
or it will not work very well. I gave up in the end. It was more trouble
than it was worth.

It's something I am only thinking about right now. On one hand it DOES seem
like a lot of hassle--making sure the dirt blend is just right, dealing with
the inevitable crumble, and spending a lot of time to make planters when you
can prepare 72 Jiffy pellets in minutes just by adding water to the tray.
On the other hand, I like the idea of having really tiny blocks (I'd get the
3/4" size) for things like corn, of which I would want a LOT but on which
wouldn't find prudent to waste a whole Jiffy pellet for each seed, and for
having no leftover pots and netting, and for having to hardly spend any more
money once you get the initial equipment. I'll just have to see how I feel
about it next spring.
--S.