Old 11-07-2009, 04:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett K Barrett is offline

Default Looking for a new server....

SuE mentioned the costs to Kye once before, so I took that to heart and
looked for other access points to usenet.

How has SuE been? I figured once the grandkids happened she got carried
away with them, *G*!

K Barrett

John Erickson wrote:
Diana, it's time for me to come out from the shadows. I have followed
the usenet orchid groups for many years. I just chose not to
participate for a variety of reasons. My wife, SuE, was an active
participant for many years but lately has been silent. While I still
have usenet access thru my isp, I also subscribe to Giganews (very
reliable and has GREAT retention). I pay about $10 / month.

Kye is very generous. Do you really think that his cost is zero. I'm
not sure it's fair for him to subsidize all of us, but that's his decision.

The larger problem, as I see it, is that using Kye's group (not part of
usenet) or a restricted Facebook group will severely restrict any
participation by new orchid growers. They will not know where to go for
information. If the intent is to keep this a private club, with minimal
new participation, then this is the way to go. But, if we want to grow
the hobby, we must make the discussions visible to all that are interested.

I don't know what is the long term future of usenet, but it's still
here. Many folks may need to pay for access but that is their decision.
Free options are around with limitations.

John Erickson

Diana Kulaga wrote:
Actually, Facebook can be better than that; we could have our own
group. One of our society members set up a restricted Facebook group
for us. You can't join it unless an admin okays you. He made me an
admin, and I get reminders when a member wants to sign up for the
group. From what I know so far, you can assign anyone to be an admin.

Then you have your own board, where anyone who is in the group can
start or participate in threads, post pictures, etc. And no spam. You
don't have to do all the junk that is available on Facebook (*what
kind of animal are you?*; *so and so wants to add your birthday to his
calendar*, etc.). We could use it purely as a message/binaries posting
center. It's not the wild west that Usenet is, but we can allow others
to join.

I'm new to it, and I'm not familiar with how to set up a restricted
group. But hey, how hard can it be?

Diana

"K Barrett" wrote in message
We all sign up on facebook and join the growing orchid community there.

The mystery group I read has a growing group of mystery fans there
too. I have no idea how well this works, but am tempted. I worry
about the timesuck factor.

K Barrett

Ray B wrote:
What facebook option?

Plants, Supplies, Books, Artwork, & Lots of Free Info!