Old 12-07-2009, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
nnk nnk is offline

Default Smelll of viburnum Tinus - I think

"nnk" wrote in message
Hi Folks

Moved into this house 3 years ago with a substantial front hedge of V

tinus,
it had an awful case of viburnum beetle (id'ed from photos by someone

here -
thank-you), in the morning and when the hedge was damp it gave off a
revolting smell - so much so I starting investigating the Drains.

Manage to
curb the beetle using an insecticide and the smell seemed to ease last

year.
I've noticed the smell more again this year but the beetle is not a

visible
problem now.

Some questions - do all viburnum hedges smell? I dont know any others

hence
asking here. If not why is my hedge smelling and what can I do about

it.
Over the last couple of years I have slowly cleared the dead

leaves/debris
which gathers at the base of the hedge but the smell seems worse again

this
year.

Any information please

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message
Go to http://tinyurl.com/mv2ddx for some good answers to your probelem.

interestingly enough my first thought is usually google but my original
search in 2006 when I didnt know the species turned up blank but urg turned
up trumps (the origanl thread is archived in that search). There doesnt
seem any authoritative info there - some seem to believe its the beetles
others the sap and still others the brown dried leaves. Some people seem to
report no smell at all which is surprising given its sporadic intensity.
Next doo who had the longer portion of the hedge sympathetically pruned it
(hacked to the ground) a year ago - the resulting regrowth doesnt seem to
have the smell though

Still puzzled as to the cause and short of grubbing up (replacing with
privet - which has pleasant childhood memories associated with the flowers)
the cure !

Any thoughts from others ?