Old 16-07-2009, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
TheScullster TheScullster is offline

Default Animal Poo? Identification

"Christina Websell" wrote

"TheScullster" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi all

Anyone suggest the likely culprit for:

Animal poo approx 10mm diameter - 3 pcs - 1 @ 25mm long and 2 @ 10mm
long - in cluster on lawn.
Similar to cat but - no smell, dry and like charcoal in appearance.
Close examination showed what looked like lots of "beetle-shell-bits"
embedded, which created the charcoal appearance.

I might have said fox until you mentioned there was no smell. It seems
too big for a hedgehog, could it possibly be pellets from a bird of prey?
Just a thought.

Tina

Thanks Tina

Don't know much about birds of prey but it's possible. We live at the top
of a hill v. close to the edge of a housing estate. There are a lot of
sparrow hawk-type-things which hang around on the lamp posts of major roads
nearby. There are one or two owls around although I have'nt actually seen
either in our copper beech (near which the poo? was found).
Are bird pellets usually round or can they be sausage shaped?
Hedgehogs were suggested by a neighbour - again I haven't seen them and also
haven't suffered from vegetable damage (if they eat them).
The least likely I think would be a fox; although they are occasionally
spotted, our garden has a perimeter fence and I don't think there are any
breaches big enough.

Phil