Old 23-07-2009, 05:12 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Kurt[_2_] Kurt[_2_] is offline

Default are fish bored in small ponds?

In article
,
matthelliwell wrote:

On 13 July, 19:11, wrote:
I have noticed a definite uptick in the health of my finches since I star

ted giving
them stuff to play with or busy themselves with. this includes strips

of toilet
paper, strips of printing paper, seed heads I cut in the garden, a swing,

a parakeet
toy.

Does anyone have any reason to think my koi might be better off with toys

or
something to do? maybe a big frozen block of ice with a bit of krill i

n it? ping
pong balls on the top? I wont do the upside down glass container anymo

re, is too
heavy to get set up and it has to be cleaned all the time. any other s

uggestions?

Mine are certainly curious with new things in the pond. I can't tell
whether it enjoyment as such but they certainly have an interest in
anything new.

Some of them particularly like playing in a current. They'll swim to
the head of whatever I've got set up, then stop swimming and be washed
back down again. Their friends then have a go.

Matt

I've noticed that almost all my fish enjoy the currents coming off my
waterfall, but more so the young ones. No koi, just goldfish