Old 16-04-2003, 10:56 AM
Chris Szilagyi

Default John Deere 300 trans dipstick help

Hello,

I recently purchased a John Deere 300 garden tractor. I discovered
that the previous owner modified the transmission dipstick, and
attached a throttle cable to the cap instead of the regular metal
blade with the "safe" marks. I have gone to the local JD dealer and
got a replacement dipstick, but I don't think it's the correct one, as
it doesn't seem to be the right one. It is only 5 inches long or so,
and doesn't go very far down the filler tube.

Can anybody tell me what the exact length is from the cap to the safe
marks on their dipstick?? I am guessing all the JD 300 series
tractors have a similar transmission (hydrostatic). That would atleast
tell me if the one I got it right or not. I really appreciate it.

Thanks,
--
Chris