Old 02-08-2009, 04:06 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
[email protected] pakrat@usenet.pr.neotoma.org is offline

Default OT, sort of - Eternal-September

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 19:44:49 -0400 in Diana Kulaga wrote:
All:

May I ask, who here is using eternal-september.org? And if you are, can you
see all of the original posts? I am getting threads, but no OPs other than
the one KB posted, and she was using eternal-september. I also was able to
read my own.

I remember that when some went to Motzarella that they had this same issue.
How did you handle it?

Diana,
I would suggest you handle it by asking in one of the eternal-september
support groups instead of here.
This would mean having a for pay news service and being able to cite
actual message-IDs and size of the messages, or else bothering to look
at the "Path:" header on the postings.

The eternal-september servers are primarily for text oriented newsgroups.
There is some difficulty in finding an NNTP peer for a select group of
small legal use binaries newsgroups.
In addition eternal-september servers enforce size limits on postings.
If you have a problem with that, use one of the pay services.

Due to current crackdowns on pay USENET servers that advertise easy
access to unauthorized copies of copyrighted material, I would not
expect those to last much longer.

To be blunt, posting binaries to USENET is a waste of resources.
Every binary posted is expanded by atleast 1/3 for transmission.
Every binary you post is sent to all USENET servers receiving that binaries
newsgroup and stored on disk. While there are not as many USENET servers
as there were 2 years ago, there are still more USENET servers that there
are people reading alt.binaries.pictures.orchids.

As I suggested last year "Pick an image sharing website with
terms you can accept, post your pictures there, post an article
with URLs to the pictures (Not to all the HTML crap framing the picture)
and a description of why we'd want to click on them."

This is win, win. Only people that want to see the pictures will
retrieve them off the net. Folks that follow RGO but are still on
dialup can retrieve the pictures in under 3/4 the time if the
description catches their fancy.

--
Chris Dukes