Old 07-08-2009, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Cherry plum pics

On 2009-08-07 11:29:45 +0100, "davej" said:

I was a bit late for Sacha's thread but by coincidence I tried to i.d. a
shrub in our garden, which is laden with red fruit, after a neighbour asked
for some of our plums.
It is one of several which seem to have formed the southern
boundary -running east-west. Although they look similar they have different
coloured fruit. The large tree behind the cherry plum also is one but has
hardly any fruit this year. Another has yellow fruit so I assume a
mirabelle. House about 115 years old. Pics taken into the sun ,tho' behind
cloud.
http://i26.tinypic.com/2nqdvzk.jpg
http://i28.tinypic.com/1zg9n2o.jpg
http://i30.tinypic.com/aouf7d.jpg
http://i32.tinypic.com/apelue.jpg

The last pic is what the fruit usually looks like. Been here 15 yrs never
seen such a crop- don't do anything with them tho' fancy the wine! Hull ,
east yorks.

The last is just what we saw ripening in the garden near our local pub.
From what an earlier poster said, this has been a particularly good
year for them because the cold weather delayed the blossom until the
bees were ready to pollinate it. It's a small demo of how important
bees are, too!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com