Old 10-08-2009, 08:26 AM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default Been a good summer so far.

On Aug 8, 12:03*am, Billy wrote:
In article
,
*Higgs Boson wrote:

Tomatoes out the wazoo. *Every morning I go out and pick cherry
tomatoes, and now the big ones are ripening as well. *On-going battle
with squirrels. *(Offering a dozen, free shipping.) *Enveloped some
big T's in
netting that so far is working OK. *In another area, enclosed the
cluster of big T's in plastic bags (with a few holes pierced). *Undid
plastic bags and harvested a few; seem to have come through OK.

(No *time limit on squirrel offer.)

Corn is superb this year! *I never make it to the kitchen. *Just shuck
the ear and devour on the spot. *SO sweet!
Got enough sense, finally, to plant succession, so should be
harvesting for months, ojala.

Cucumbers... can't keep ahead of them...giving away to neighbors left
& right. *Looked for cucumber recipes in a couple of cookbooks, but
didn't find anything suitable. *This year, planted the so-called
"pickling" cukes, and like them much better. *Got a great, crisp bite
to them. *Also lemon cukes, but they're slower to come along.

Went through several pickings of yellow wax beans before I ripped out
the vines and put in my first lima beans.
Never grew them before; looking forward. *I interspersed them among
corn stalks, having always heard that
indigenous people knew about complementary amino acids long before us
white folks.

Carrots starting. *Wasted time with some bad seed before buying
fresh. *Grrrr!

Green onions starting as well. *I'm nervously eyeing the last
survivors of previous crop. Can't eat them fast enough; hope they
won't go to seed before I finish them. *Giving away to neighbors.

But the Big News this year is MELONS!!! *Cantaloupe! *My first time!
They are sprawling all over the lawn, practically charging out of
their planting bed. *Rather than construct *vertical supports when I
realized where this was going, *I am just letting them sprawl. * Have
spread some sheets of cardboard partly to keep the grass down (didn't
work) and partly to keep the melons from (maybe) rotting from grass/
dirt contact. *Is this
unnecessary? *Like I said, my first time.

Heavenly breakfasts of tomatoes, cucumbers, green onions, hard-boiled
egg, cold cooked red potatoes, celery, Israeli feta cheese, with light
dressing of walnut oil, lemons from the tree, a soupc,on of Maille
mustard a l'ancienne, salt & pepper. *Accompanied by slices of Trader
Joe whole grain bread.

Yup, been a good summer so far g

Persephone

Your orthograph of soupçon is incorrect.

It was a typo. How do I get my system to put the
comma under the "c"?

TIA