Old 14-08-2009, 11:25 PM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default Been a good summer so far.

On Aug 10, 4:38*am, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 8/10/09 3:35 AM, in article
, "Higgs

Boson" wrote:
On Aug 9, 6:43*pm, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
Sounds like you're having a great one. Tomatoes have been doing great,
something ate the cuke leaves and I'm wondering if I'll see any pumpkins
from the volunteer plants.

But the tomatoes make up for the rest of it...

Cheryl

Speaking of melons.... I had wrapped most of them in mesh, anti-
squirrel-wise,
but @#$$%^&*%@ if I didn't find that the &^%%$#s had been at one of
the "naked" melons. * Chawed out a chunk. *At risk of death, I took it
inside,
cut off the bad parts, and ate the rest - HEAVEN!!!
(even though the gardener *had warned me not to eat anything
the squirrels have been at).

I'm still more or less alive, even after eating tomatoes that had been
"molested".

Incidentally he was wrong about waiting until *melons turn yellow.
The one
I ate had not turned yellow, but was perfectly ripe.

I have now wrapped the remaining melons in plastic grocery bags tied
at the top.

Sigh! *My son took his .22 when he moved out...Sure could use it now

Few years ago, another bumper tomato crop, I bought a little Italian
food mill on-line. *It separates out the "meat", leaving seeds and
skin
behind. *Will probably break it out next week, as the T's are piling
up,
even with what I give the neighbors. *Been ages since I canned,
so may just freeze the pulp.

I've made salsa - the uncooked type - frozen it and it's really good when
you thaw it out. I drained the liquid off and used it to marinate chicken
and beef. Talk about tasty and tender. And it feels like summer in the
middle of winter.

Cheryl

Yum. Sounds great.

Melons, I had tied up the precious few in plastic bags to keep
the )**&&^% squirrels
from chawing down on them. Made tiny airholes in all (I thought?).

But gardener opined this morning that melons would "boil" in the
plastic bags, so I hastily harvested four of them, but I'm afraid one
was too early; still green at the end.

Will it ripen any further if I don't open it?

Was he right about the "boil in bag"?

TIA

Persephone

Persephone.