Old 16-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Allegra

Default Allegra: More roses- Too late to prune?

"Cass" asked

Allegra: More roses- Too late to prune?

Yes, if my roses are an indication and in general
here in the NW. After the first week of April is
rosecide to go after them with a pair of Felcos.

The best thing to do as you already suggested is
to clean up the beds of decaying material underneath
to control any fungus that may appear particularly
if the poor things have indeed were neglected,
deadhead anything that may be still be clinging to
them, taking the twigs and any dead wood would
not harm them, but getting into the canes with
anything but a debris bag is asking for trouble.

This is the time when the cane borers are having
their babies and any injury to the cambium or
the wood is an invitation for them to move in so
that has to be considered as well. Not to speak of
the despicable aphids that so far haven't shown here
but PM is having a field day. Banner Maxx and
Indicate 5 ( now called Phase 5 according to the
person BH talked to when ordering ) are coming
either today or tomorrow so we will mix them,
then we suit and go...

Allegra