Old 20-08-2009, 09:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
keith kent keith kent is offline

Default Jungle Feed

Jungle FeedThanks Ray & Kenneth .
I am hoping to go to the Boga fayre !
Regards Keith
"Ray B" wrote in message news:000401ca21ae$b95daa70$0202fea9@fro...
Thanks for jumping in, Kenneth.

Even GreenCare - the folks that make the original "MSU" fertilizers - have to resort to more-expensive raw materials for the tap water formula.

The whole "dissolved solids" level discussion is hard to deal with, which is why EC or going with the nitrogen loading is more manageable.

For example, using the MSU RO formula, for 125 ppm N, adding up the weight percentages of all of the cations present gives a dissolved solids level of about 355 ppm. However, as one must add 3.55 grams of the powder to a gallon of water for 125 ppm N, that is an addition of 938 ppm.

Now I'm quite sure that all of the constituents of the mineral molecules don't contribute to the dissolved solids content - some of those are water, after all - so that suggests that the TRUE dissolved solids content is lower than that last calculation would imply, but how do you determine that?

TDS meters really are of little value, as they are just cheap EC meters with a built-in conversion factor to ppm. Unfortunately, the factor should change with the make-up of the ionic species dissolved, so it technically cannot be a single factor for all fertilizers and solutions. Let's also not forget that different manufacturers use different conversion factors! I have two - at a 125 ppm N solution, one tells me the TDS is about 480 ppm, the other 610. About all TDS meters are good for is assessing whether the solution you made up this time is different from the last time.

Ray Barkalow - First Rays LLC - www.firstrays.com
Orchid Plants, Supplies, Equipment, Books
Artwork, Free Services & Lots of Info!