Old 26-08-2009, 07:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
wendy7 wendy7 is offline

Default Reporting in

Good to hear from you Kathy, also I like the sound of a blue
phalaenopsis!!!!
Cheers Wendy
"K Barrett" wrote in message
Hi all. I've been busy working, figured I'd report in before y'all
thought I'd died or something. We held a Speaker's Day in Sacramento
featuring Roy Tokunaga, Ron McHatton and Carlos Fighetti as well as short
culture sessions with Alan Koch and Dennis Olivas as well as the above.
Had a great time, learned a lot, great public support even from the
newbies. I think people thirst for knowledge at a higher level than we
give them credit for. The center didn't lose too much money as a group
and I bought some decent orchids (kovachii hybrid seedlings and a blue
phal). Since then I've been repotting (yes, stuff is still rooting) and
generally taking care of my orchids. Haven't had time to take pictures.
Or maybe its I haven't had the inclination to take pictures, LOL! Been
musing on orchids as a way of life. Not a hobby for those who like to
travel. Or otherwise get sidetracked. Hence they become the end itself, I
suppose. You gotta like them and the people who grow them. The club held
a greenhouse tour, was impressed that Fordyce is still making standard
catt crosses. He's the one that got me started thinking about orchids as
a lifestyle. Some folks ride Harleys. Some boat. I grow orchids. Wish
we'd stop thinking we're failures if people don't get as enthused as we do
and drop out. Its not a reflection on us. Orchids ain't for everyone.
The club's BBQ was yesterday, fewer people but I'm betting we still made
the same amount of money. I know I repotted with an eye to giving away
divisions at the BBQ, so had 20-25 to bring to the table this year. Many
sold well. Lord knows I need the bench space. This year the 2.5 in pots
are all moved up to 4". Temps in the GH have been all over the map -
Highs over 95F, lows to 62F. Fewer sheathes and spikes.... I think the GH
needs to cool off more at night. we'll see. But I did get a ascda to
bloom so that's something, LOL! The Vandas like the temps. I will say
since repotting new roots are popping out all over. Amazing the way that
works... I want to go to the Trustees meeting in LA in Oct, but have once
again over-committed myself. There'll be a show in Fresno, our show and
the Trustee's meeting all in the same 10 day period. Plus employment...so
no Trustees. Well, there. That's it. SOSDD.

You?

K Barrett