Old 28-08-2009, 12:58 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
info info is offline

Default Big leak, big problem

Nan & Rich Zitney wrote:

We had terrible storms a week ago and lost 3 or 4 trees to winds -
they just snapped off halfway up - we're talking 40 - 50' trees. And
a big branch fell into the pond pucturing the liner. We are letting
the water level go down trying to find the hole and patch it. The fish
need to be moved to upper pond for safekeeping - it's gonna be tight
in there for them, but the best we can do, and run filter on that
small pond.
Since we're retired now, and so much older than when we built the
pond, replacing a liner will be a major job, and $350. expense. What a
mess. Pond is 11 x 17' and just under 3' deep in the middle near the
bottom drain.
Any good thoughts and prayers would be appreciated. Some of our fish
are 24", gonna be a trip catching them. Wish us luck!!
Nan in DE

Yuck, what a mess. If the pond you are moving your fish to is a lot smaller
you may want to consider bird netting the pond so they don't jump out and
also keep predators out.

Do you need to replace the liner? Can't you find the hole and patch it?

Netting is also a good way to catch those big fish, just lay it across the
bottom and lift.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.