Old 01-09-2009, 03:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
[email protected] pakrat@usenet.pr.neotoma.org is offline

Default Jungle Feed

On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 09:35:30 -0400 in 000401ca2b09$2a9f8d80$0201a8c0@fro Ray B wrote:

------=_NextPart_000_0092_01CA2AE7.A38206A0

WhatÂ’s the 660 m/sm?

Why do you want to dilute it further? The recommended continuous
feeding rate for the MSU RO formula is 125 ppm N. If your 0.75 tsp/gal
gives you that, why change?

Any chance ya'll could turn off the posting with a text version and
an HTML version and trim the quotes occasionally?
While this thread has been amusing me greatly, 1588 line posts which
are mostly HTML from earlier in the thread is getting a tad insane.

And as keith has finally gone metric like a good european...

PPM Nitrogen = 1000000* ((%N/100)*((fertilizer in ml)/1000)/(container size in liters)

Cancel some zeroes
PPM Nitrogen = 10 * (%N * (fertilizer in ml))/(container size in liters)

And plug in the numbers for 125PPM nitrogen... 13%N in the fertilizer...

125 = 10 * ( 13 * (x))/1

125/130 ml/l and for sanity's sake we just round to 1ml/l.

And if Keith wants to play with the amounts for other PPMs.

PPM component*container size in l/(10*%component)= ml of fert

And if Keith absolutely must find out the TDS... the UK should have
an equivalent to an agriculture extension agency which should, for a
fee, be willing to do a full sample anlysis for him.

Color me a grouch, but these calculations are a no-brainer
in metric. And if you need to end up using screwball non-metric
units, do the unit conversion from the metric answer to the screwball
units.

And Keith... there's this wonderful Unix program called 'units'.
Here's a useful conversion for you...

You have: ml/l
You want: brteaspoon/brgallon
* 0.909218
/ 1.0998462

And another useful conversion...

You have: usteaspoon/usgallon
You want: brteaspoon/brgallon
* 1.1838776
/ 0.84468191

And now I'm off to ponder asking for a half stack of mulch...
--
Chris Dukes