Old 01-09-2009, 09:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
keith kent keith kent is offline

Default Jungle Feed

Jungle FeedRay , i took two readings one being 422 ppm other was 660 microsiemens .
To finish, i think what has put me off thinking the readings are wrong somehow is that the TDS is higher than i thought it would be @ 125 ppm N.
Especially at every watering .
i would normally peak @ approx 500ppm in summer then reduce ppm to a low of 250ppm in winter .
I will stick to 0.75 -gallon and see what the results are !
I apologise if this has dragged on , but i needed to know what i was doing is correct to the recommended dosage.
Cheers Keith
"Ray B" wrote in message news:000401ca2b09$2a9f8d80$0201a8c0@fro...
What's the 660 m/sm?

Why do you want to dilute it further? The recommended continuous feeding rate for the MSU RO formula is 125 ppm N. If your 0.75 tsp/gal gives you that, why change?

Ray Barkalow - First Rays LLC - www.firstrays.com

Orchid Plants, Supplies, Equipment, Books

Artwork, Free Services & Lots of Info!

From: keith kent ]
Posted At: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 7:10 AM
Posted To: rec.gardens.orchids
Conversation: Jungle Feed
Subject: Jungle Feed

I have redone this @ 0.75 /gallon

result is 422ppm/660 m/sm RO 6ppm

So i am thinking if this was diluted to 7 litres i should be somewhere where i want to be around TDS 250-300 ppm and feeding @ every watering

Keith

"keith kent" wrote in message ...

Sorry Ray , i am getting on my own nerves now !!

Your calculator & MSU comes out at 0.73 teaspoons per gallon or 0.95 m/l per litre to achieve 125 ppm N.

This seems high still as when i added 0.75 teaspoons per gallon the TDS was approx 650 ppm why ? as the calculator says it should be 258 ppm ,i no this doesn`t include the other elements ,but surely they don`t add up to 392 ppm

This is using RO @ 6ppm

Or is this TDS usually about right ?

I will try again 0.73 in a gallon again and see what i get

Thanks for the below i have printed it off & Cheers

Keith

"Ray B" wrote in message news:000c01ca2a7a$091888e0$0201a8c0@fro...

Keith,

A US gallon is 3.785 liters

A US teaspoon is 4.93 milliliters

An Imperial gallon is 4.546 liters

An Imperial teaspoon is 5.92 milliliters

1 US teaspoon per US gallon is 4.93ml/3.785L = 1.302 ml/L

1 Imperial teaspoon per Imperial gallon is 5.92ml/4.546L = 1.302ml/L

The ratio being identical means that 10 divided by the %N gives you the teaspoons per gallon to use for 125 ppm N, whether US or Imperial units.

As you put one Imperial teaspoon in an Imperial gallon, you used 1/0.75=1.333, or one-third more than necessary, meaning that the solution you now have is about 125 x 1.333=167 ppm N, so all you have to do is dilute it to ¾ of its current concentration for use. You could take a quart of solution out and replace it with a quart of water, or if your mixing container is large enough, add a quart plus a cup of water to the gallon.

From: keith kent ]
Posted At: Monday, August 31, 2009 2:32 PM
Posted To: rec.gardens.orchids
Conversation: Jungle Feed

Ray is it as simple as converting 0.75 us teaspoon to uk teaspoon which is 1.0408427308 ( which is as good as 1 teaspoon yeh ?) then add this to a uk Gallon which is 4.5 UK litres

What do you think ?,if i can get this right from the start then it will be easy from here .Phew !

Keith

"keith kent" wrote in message ...

Hi RAY ,i am using a online conversion would you convert US gallon dry as the feed is powder form ?

Thanks Keith

You are correct that you would add 1ml of a 13%N fertilizer to one liter (litre) of water. I'll leave the conversion to imperial gallons to you.

From: keith kent ]
Posted At: Sunday, August 30, 2009 4:24 PM
Posted To: rec.gardens.orchids
Conversation: Jungle Feed

Hi Ray , for ml/L msu is 13 % N divide x 13 is obviously 1 ml ? is this per litre so it is 4.5 ml per gallon water? it surely cannot be 1 ml a gallon .

Cheers Keith

"Ray B" wrote in message news:000401ca2115$50f47bb0$0201a8c0@fro...

What I have learned is that most professional growers (not just orchids), control their feeding by managing the ppm N in the solution, and letting the rest of the nutrients "tag along" in the ratios of the preferred formula.

I shoot for 125 ppm N in my fertilizer solution at all times. It's easy to determine the amount to use - just divide 10 by the %N on the label, and the result is teaspoons to add per gallon. For you sophisticated, metricated folks, divide 13 by the %N to get the ml/L.

From: keith kent ]
Posted At: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 12:11 PM
Posted To: rec.gardens.orchids
Conversation: Jungle Feed

Thanks for that Ray , i did see the orchidboard post after doing a search.

I am going to buy the Akerne orchids feed which is basically the MSU i think http://www.akerne-orchids.com/index.htm as it is the only one available in the EU .

As the feed is 13 -3- 15 does this mean that less feed will be required compared to the 1-0-1 .

If so this is just what i am looking for ,as i mix up at 160lts a time sometimes and liquid feeds ,i just use too much of the stuff even to get the mix to 350ppm .

Regards Keith

"Ray B" wrote in message news:000001ca2000$023fe0b0$0202fea9@fro...

Dilute it about 12:1 or 13:1

12.8/12=1.07
4.8/12=0.4
14.5/12=1.21

Rounding to the nearest whole number, that's 1-0-1