Old 05-09-2009, 08:57 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Moving some flora and fauna indoors for the winter

http://weloveteaching.com/mypond/VF/veggie_filter.html
altho these days it is simpler. I use a 150 gallon rubbermaid with an airstone, a
tiny pump to just move the water around and 2 shop lights to overwinter my cyperus.
Ingrid

On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 08:12:22 EDT, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

I'm in NY & winter will be here all too soon.

I've got an Elephant Ear I need to bring in & figure I might as well
bring in some lettuce and Water hyacinths.

Through an aquarium store accident I've got a 1/2 dozen Apple snails
that will need to be brought in if they are to survive--- so I figured
I'd bring in a dozen Rosy Reds to keep them company.

My first thought was a mini-pond with all that stuff in a 50gallon
aquarium. Now I'm wondering if a smaller aquarium & a couple
buckets would be a better idea.

What do other folks 'rescue' - and how do you do it?

This setup will be in my basement with artificial lights and a 60-65'
temp.

Thanks,
Jim

Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan
on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago