Old 17-04-2003, 12:44 AM
~ jan

Default AlgaeFix anyone??

If you want to become a chemical addict.

Anything that kills is a pesticide, in this case an algaecide. When that
algae dies it dumps all the nitrates, nitrite, etc right back into the
water feeding another algae bloom which requires another dose of chemical.

Don't fret about the String Algae, it WILL go away as your pond matures.
Every time you hit your pond with an algaecide you also kill off the
beneficial fuzz algae that is slower growing, but will eventually out
compete suspended and long string algae.

I have a fully stock koi pond, 16 in 1500 gallons counting the 200 in the
filter. The koi are an average of 12-18 inches. I do not suffer spring
suspended algae bloom, nor do I get any string algae (knock on wood for
saying that now). I do not have a UV. I do screen the pond throughout the
winter and it is fairly shaded from noon to 6pm.

Patience or drug... ah chemical addiction? Wantta guess what your pond
supply vendor is "pushing"? ;o) ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~