Old 09-09-2009, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ragnar Ragnar is offline

Default Leylandii Disease

"jks" wrote in message
My Leylandii have been dying one by one for several years. Previously they
took some time to die but the latest was quite healthy 2 weeks ago and is
now dead. All the trees, planted about 16 years ago, were on a bank of a
stream so I don't think water was a problem.

Looking beneath the bark there is no sign of fungal disease and I can't
see any aphids on it.

It looks as if a privet bush close to the hedge is also dying.

Anyone know what the problem might be and have a cure?

You have'nt seen any aphids so my first guess (Cypress aphid
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7493107.stm ) is probably wrong. In any case
I don't know if it would affect Privet.

Another possibility is Phytophthora, a sort of fungus-like organism that
causes foliage to turn brown, often down one side of the plant at first,
before the tree eventually dies. It killed a whole cypress hedge of mine
last year and affects conifers and fruit trees. There is no cure. Similar
symptoms are caused by Honey Fungus.

R.