Old 26-09-2009, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
lloyd lloyd is offline

Default Is a runner bean a runner bean

On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 11:35:32 +0100 (BST), wrote:

In article ,
lloyd wrote:

That's been left too long, and is ripening. You may have missed it
or not picks it because it was small. When that happened, just
chuck those beans on the compost heap.

The fatties you mean?

That simple eh

Yes.

If you are away and have a lot of them, you can pod them and cook
the unripe beans like flageolet beans. Or you can let all of the
beans ripen, and use the dried beans over the winter.

I'm not that organised I'm afraid. I thought I could just parboil them
and freeze them somehow, or is that incorrect?

You are too disorganised to not get them picked when you go away!
I am impressed ....

I'm impressed you could say that let alone understand what it means.

Once they have started to swell, forget about using them as green
beans. No matter what you do, they will be stringy and tough.
Using them as dried beans requires almost no organisation, more
than picking sometime after the pods have gone leathery and before
they have fallen off the vine, split open or rotted. You usually
have a month or so :-)

Well why didnt you say that in the first place lol