Old 17-04-2003, 01:08 PM
Chris Davenport

Default Lawn Mower Servicing

In message , Harry Rogers
writes
Chris

My real gripe is this stupid lets collect it and keep it in a queue system.
Right put it in a queue but collect it a day or so before its due for
servicing. Years ago we used to call this JIT (Just in Time) . Why clog up
the dealers back yard with hoards of machines waiting their turn. Using a
bit of careful planning it could work quite easily.

I agree. Shop around. Different dealers use different systems.

My timing for a service is due to the fact that I bought it at this time of
the year.

Okay, this is a point that dealers often fail to mention (and amongst
the wealth of information that the owner of a new ride-on must absorb,
it is easily overlooked). In order to qualify for the 5-year warranty
you MUST have the machine serviced within 12-months of the purchase
date. Since most people will buy a machine during the busy summer
season this suggests that you will have to have the machine serviced at
the busiest time of year too. But actually you don't have to wait until
the 12-month period is about to expire. You are allowed to bring it in
earlier!

Ideally, if you bought the machine in April you should bring it in for
the 1st year service anytime between October and February, that's the
quiet time for dealers. It's less than 12 months old but that's okay.
In subsequent years your services will be 12-months apart.

My advice would be to grin and bear it for this season (assuming you
want to keep the 5-year warranty), then make a note to bring it in for
the 2nd year service during the winter months. That will get you in
synch with the dealers and you may even save a bit in the process as
many dealers will have special offers running over the winter.

Chris.

--
Chris Davenport Email:
Joint General Manager

Gordon B. Davenport Web:
www.davenport.gb.com
65 Battlefield Road Email:
Shrewsbury Phone: +44 (0)1743 462950
Shropshire, SY1 4AD Fax: +44 (0)1743 450384
United Kingdom Lawn and Garden Equipment Distributors