Old 11-10-2009, 06:46 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
a425couple a425couple is offline

Default Ponds vanishing

"ReelMcKoi" wrote in ...
1.
-In the past 6 months I've noticed people getting rid of their ponds.
-Where I used to see ponds I now see grass or a garden.
-I notice most of the pet stores here no longer carry
-pond supplies. Pond fish food maybe, and that's about it.

2.
-I notice fewer and fewer people on this group.

3.
-I wonder if they've given up their ponds. ?!?!?!
-What's going on? Is the fad over for many (most?) people?
-- RM....Frugal ponding since 1995.

I'll generally agree with you on point one.
On point two, all newsgroups are suffering, many posters
and lurkers have lost easy access.
I do not know about point three. My joy and activity with
our ponds (since about 1995) has decreased, especially
this year. Mostly with the damage racoons do.
So, I'm less likely to post than I would be otherwise.

(For a variety of reasons, I will not put 'grates' over
them each night to protect them, nor go to various
sensors & scaring or warning devices)

For each racoon, I only have to win once for them to
be perminently "deported".
But after "deporting" 30 it becomes clear that their
replenishment rate means there will always be new ones.

(The neighbors who thought racoons were wonderful
and really really fed them are long gone, but obviously
plenty others still feed dogs and cats outside.
One 'naive' neighbor saw a racoon scare off their
cat, and expressed surprise there were racoons around!!!!
Their cat has never returned. Personally I'm not sure if
racoons got it (??), more than likely coyote.
I find the increasing news stories of people being
injured, and pets attacked and killed, , , interesting.
Last I read they figured 8 million racoons are killed
on our nations highways every year, - and some get
teary at the thought.)

So, there will constantly be new damage.
And fish will continue to be lost, the longest I've ever
had one is about 2 years.
Whatever, It does not seem to bring as much enjoyment
as it used to.
(But maybe I'm just getting older and lazy!)