Old 16-10-2009, 02:30 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
ReelMcKoi ReelMcKoi is offline

Default Ponds vanishing

"a425couple" wrote in message
"ReelMcKoi" wrote in ... 1.
-In the past 6 months I've noticed people getting rid of their
ponds. -Where I used to see ponds I now see grass or a garden. -I notice
most of the pet stores here no longer carry
-pond supplies. Pond fish food maybe, and that's about it.
2. -I notice fewer and fewer people on this group.
3.
-I wonder if they've given up their ponds. ?!?!?!
-What's going on? Is the fad over for many (most?) people?

-- RM....Frugal ponding since 1995.

~ ~ ~ ~

I'll generally agree with you on point one. On point two, all newsgroups
are suffering, many posters and lurkers have lost easy access. I do not
know about point three. My joy and activity with our ponds (since about
1995) has decreased, especially this year. Mostly with the damage racoons
do. So, I'm less likely to post than I would be otherwise.

Where I live the predators are numerous and people
complained about their ponds being trashed. Fish
eaten etc.

(For a variety of reasons, I will not put 'grates' over them each night to
protect them, nor go to various sensors & scaring or warning devices)

I feel the same way. I had nets over the ponds that really
cut into my enjoyment of them. :-( It was also getting
to be too much taking care of them. Age became a factor.

For each racoon, I only have to win once for them to be perminently
"deported". But after "deporting" 30 it becomes clear that their
replenishment rate means there will always be new ones.

Yep! Remove one and a new one takes it's place.

(The neighbors who thought racoons were wonderful and really really fed
them are long gone, but obviously plenty others still feed dogs and cats
outside. One 'naive' neighbor saw a racoon scare off their cat, and
expressed surprise there were racoons around!!!!
Their cat has never returned. Personally I'm not sure if racoons got it
(??), more than likely coyote. I find the increasing news stories of
people being injured, and pets attacked and killed, , , interesting.
Last I read they figured 8 million racoons are killed on our nations
highways every year, - and some get teary at the thought.)

We have them here but with all the dogs around they don't come
near the houses. Our biggest problem was the herons, water snakes,
huge bullfrogs and large snapping turtles. Since I got rid of the fish
these predators haven't been around. From what I gather, the snakes
finished off the frogs, then left. There was nothing more to eat.
The fish were the big draw, not the ponds themselves. (2000g and
an 800g pond.

So, there will constantly be new damage. And fish will continue to be
lost, the longest I've ever had one is about 2 years. Whatever, It does
not seem to bring as much enjoyment as it used to. (But maybe I'm just
getting older and lazy!)

I know what you mean. ;-) Perhaps let the fish go and just enjoy
the pond itself. I find them a lot more enjoyable now and they're
a lot less work.
--
If you're a past or present resident of