Old 23-10-2009, 08:37 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton Richard Sexton is offline

Default Best Lighting System

In article ,
Cam in Toronto wrote:
On Oct 21, 10:15*am, Larry B wrote:
I have a 46 gallon Oceanic bowfront freshwater community tank
populated with a few real plants and am considering the purchase of
replacement lamps or a new lighting system.

I currently have a 36" Coralife fixture with one T5 10,000K, 21 watt
lamp and one Actinic Bluelight, 21 watt lamp.

I would appreciate your recommendations regarding light systems,
lamps, ...

The old rule of thumb is to use at least 3 watts per gallon when using
flourescents.

But rules, like thumbs, get broken. 3wpg is great if you're growing
certain kids of plants but you can get by with (a lot, sometimes)
less if you're growing plants ahtat are tolerant to low light
levels - Crypts, anubias, ferns etc.

Lose the actinic, it does no good in freshwater whatsoever. Replace it
with a regular bulb and you've made the first real improvement.

Cheap warm white tubes are fine BTW. They're as good if not better
that any pricey tube.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net