Old 24-02-2003, 10:16 PM
zhanataya

Default Going bats! Bathouse questions....

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 14:20:26 -0500, "Noctaire"
wrote:

I keep forgetting to put my rec.gardens sig in my posting -- I'm active in a
number of newsgroups. Sigh I'm up in Cincinnati, Ohio -- Zone 6a.

As for what kind of bat, that's an easy one -- the kind that eats bugs.
I am not certain what types of bats are indigenous to Southwestern Ohio but
I have seen them buzzing about overhead at dusk. We're probably a mile or
so away from the Ohio river, half mile from the Mill Creek (sort of a
dumping creek by the railyards) but the bats are still plentiful around
here.

With all of the mosquitoes, I'd like to get a little clan of bats living in
the back here so we can get a little better control on them -- my neighbors
won't take care of their water issues and I'm tired of getting eaten alive
so....

James

I looked all over the internet to find a site that would give you good
area specific advice and couldn't find anything. Maybe one of the
universities in Ohio has an etymology department. Where's Bill and
Doug when you need them?

Good Luck with your project. btw, sometime it takes at least a year
for the bat houses to attract the bats.

zhan