Old 27-10-2009, 10:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Chickens killing my garden

Christina Websell wrote:
If foxes get into your hen house they will always kill them all, even if
there are 50 or more they will kill the lot. Why? I have no idea.

Sickening, isn't it?
Someone explained it to me once, but it didn't make sense. They said it
was to do with if they killed one, the rest would be gone the next day,
but if they killed them all they could come back and they would still be
there later, I think. I presume they would prefer fresh meat, but they
are scavengers, so I guess they are happy to leave the other 20 or so
dead ones in their 'larder' for later. (although I'd expect someone
else to come along and finish them off for them first!)