Old 27-10-2009, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Chickens killing my garden

On Oct 27, 2:44*pm, wrote:
David in Normandy wrote:

... moving chicken houses

Following the thread I gather that chickens don't like their home being
moved. I'm planning on making moveable timber shed big enough for three
or four chickens. On wheels. How far can it be moved without upsetting
the chickens? I thought it would be a good idea to have a mesh floor and
be able to move it a few feet so the droppings fall on fresh ground.
I don't know much about chickens at the moment. I plan to make the
chicken house and get chickens sometime in the Spring of next year.

Ours have been moved around quite regularly, within the garden (most
recently only about 3m and still in the same 'bark chippings' area, but
still the 'house' bit has moved) and they've never had a problem with
it.

What I can't understand is how our chickens, who roam over acres of
land and then find their way back, get confused when the Eglu is moved
a few feet. Fortunately we are nowhere near any main roads, they roam
all over the lane into the village, no main roads as the village is a
dead end, with 6 houses in the Bourg, you come into it and you have to
their fields, but mine keep to our fields, now that is odd, they do
not mix.

Judith