Old 28-10-2009, 06:33 PM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccabunga View Post
Bay trees get big - up to 25 feet - so they need to be treated like bonsai in pots. Good soil, balanced feeding, repotting annually with a root trim.

Goji are Himalayan in origin, and the plants of the genus that I know are huge - up to 12 feet high and more across as they sucker like mad. I cannot see they are a particulalry good pot plant, though of course with all the breeding that's going on they may be dwarfed forms. It is also a deciduous plant, so will be preparing to drop its leaves.

None are good houseplants.
I bought a little bay plant and put it in the ground 9 years ago. For about 7 years it was a specimen in the lawn. As it was in the way for the new garage and path it got moved to a proper flower bed. While in the lawn it got to about 70cm tall. It's grown a bit faster the last couple of years in some better soil with less competition for scarce water from the grass, so its probably now a little over a metre. They can be pruned like hedging, so I expect to keep it bushlike. My soil is dry and stony. In damper soil, they grow a lot faster.

Goji berries, much longer known in Britain as Wolfberry or Duke of Argyll's Tea Tree, were introduced to Britain by the 3rd Duke of Argyll in the 18th century, and are survive the winter out of doors in mild areas. They grow to between 1m and 3m, usually nearer the lower end in this country. They have escaped from gardens and volunteers can be found in the wild, especially in areas like the SW. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfberry Most people say that the berries are disappointing for their taste. Their popularity seems to be based upon health claims that are poorly substantiated.