Old 02-11-2009, 02:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Chickens killing my garden

"Judith in France" wrote in message
On Oct 27, 12:25 am, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in
On Oct 24, 9:06 pm, "Christina Websell"

wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in
On Oct 23, 5:39 pm, "Christina Websell"

I am relieved that mine came home today Tina after staying out all
night, bad girls!!! I moved their Egu (Yes, I heard you cuss and the
quick intake of breath:-)), just a few feet away, the silly things
didn't like the move. I called them this p.m. and they scuttled
across the field to me like little old ladies, running, they got
double helpings of food tonight.

---------
It worked for ages with no roofs on, 6 feet high, but then one fox
managed
to climb in and kill one of my favourite hens along with her 6 14 week
old
pullet chicks.
Yes, all pullets! Wasn't I lucky? Until that moment.

None of them had been taken for food, they were all left in the run with
their heads off. 7 bodies and 7 separate heads. I wept when I cleared
them
up.

Oh dear, Tina, I'm sorry, how awful!!!!! I lock the Eglu at night but
they are totally free range during the day, I have been out walking
and often walk into them coming back to the village. I am down to 1
egg a day now, the weather has really picked up and was so warm today
that I was in tee shirt and leggings. Will they continue to lay do
you think whilst the weather is warm.

---
No, it's more about day length.
-----

My neighbour has a lot of hens, last year the fox got into the hen
house one night, he killed all the chickens, about 20 or more, and
left them as you describe, bodies and heads. Why do foxes behave that
way, killing one and taking it away to eat, I understand but not
wanton slaughter.
----------
If foxes get into your hen house they will always kill them all, even if
there are 50 or more they will kill the lot. Why? I have no idea.
It's why me and Mr Fox do not agree. If he took only one it might be
different, but as he doesn't it occasionally means Mr Fox Man comes to
tell
him the error of his ways.

Tina

Presumably now, with your construction, the fox can't get in? We have
a problem here with birds of prey, my neighbour, a old lady who has
kept chickens all her life, said, that during the day, there are at
risk, it is not unusual for the odd hen to be taken in this way. Have
you experienced that?

No, there are no birds of prey here big enough to take a chicken.
My friend in Germany has problems with goshawks, is that what is taking your
neighbours chickens?

Tina