Old 05-11-2009, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Leaf collection for leaf mould

Muddymike wrote:
There is also the problem of dog faeces mixed up with the
leaves,which
can be unpleasant,but again not as usual these days as most dog
owners
seem to use bags.
Does it matter if some faeces ends up in the leaf
mould,assuming that
one regular washes ones hands?

I throw all our dogs faeces onto the compost heap which is mostly
leaves. I always thought of it as a good activator.
This reminds me I must raise the height of the compost bin frame
as I filled it to the present top last weekend and a lot more
leaves have fallen this week.

I can't remember why, but I thought I'd read that you should only put
the poo of herbivores onto the compost (so no cat/dog poo, but in
theory, chicken poo is ok (although my chickens don't look very
herbivorish to me when they're munching through a pile of slugs and
caterpilars!))