View Single Post
  #1   Report Post  
Old 16-11-2009, 03:30 AM

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Sep 2009
Default Organic Remedy for Destroying Ant Nests

Hi All,
I can’t find a section on this site for pests and diseases so I will just post this in the hope that someone might find it of use.

This was a tip I got from an organic market gardener on another allotment site about 6 years ago.

This requires to be done when the weather is dry for reasons which will become obvious.

First locate an area where the ants are active, now sprinkle some dry semolina in a small pile.

The worker ants will transport this new food source back to the nest, the queen will be fed the new food first.

Having eaten the dry semolina it will expand in the moist environment of the queen's digestive system and she will explode through being unable to digest it. This it was said would also be the fate of the larval queens in waiting who would also be fed the semolina. The result no queens no eggs no ants.

I have only had to use this remedy once on my plot and it worked perfectly. Now if I could only find a similar remedy for Slugs, Bindweed and Horsetail I would be in allotment heaven.

uriel13