Old 01-12-2009, 10:19 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Galen Hekhuis Galen Hekhuis is offline

Default What's up with the duckweed?

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 08:17:26 EST, Phyllis and Jim
wrote:

I was just thinking about your pond beyond the pond. Could a carp
just swim away to the stream? Is the stream inviting/ If so, you
might lose it to better feeding grounds. They grow prodigiously.
Ours moved from 8' to 2.5' in a year and will level out at 3-4 ft.
Max eating is during growth, but they do fine regardless. i suspect
that if your pond exit is mall and the carp gets big, it will prefer
your pond to a stream. I am sure your county agent will have an
opinion about the duckweed and the grass carp.

Having been over there now, I can say that during high water fish of
just about any size could make it through. However, we got less than
...9 inches (.88 to be exact) of rain last month, and it has been
anything *but* high water for the last few years, so right now the
pond exit is tiny. I think there might have been fish in the past,
but they all eventually went downstream. It's more exciting to tell
people that an alligator (which I have had in the pond) ate them.
..