Old 18-04-2003, 07:20 AM
Gail Futoran

Default Rose bush shape info for a very novice gardener (was How did everybody get started with thei

"Kim" wrote in message
In article ,

says...

I think I must be on every mailing list related to

roses. A large
percentage of my bookmarks are websites that are in some

way or another
related to roses. I don't think I have bought anything

new for the garden
that wasn't a rose in the last couple years. Nothing

beats the satisfaction
of growing beautiful roses. I am officially obsessed.

Mike
z8TX

Mike, do you have any links to sites that might show the

general shape of a
bush once it's "fully grown"? Please see example of what

I'm talking about at
the link below.

http://www.vintagegardens.com/cgi-bi...l?id=65b1ia63c
8fa (search link)
and put in "The Fairy" and once it comes up, select the

bush style of the rose.
Once you've done that, there is a drawing on the page that

shows several
"appearences" of bushes, and "The Fairy" is #2 in that

group.

I'm looking for this info because I'm getting ready to

plant my first rose bed
in a week (zone 6, northern panhandle of WV) or so and

since I know very little
about roses (yet) I figured I'd ask you folks on the rose

group.

The plants will arrive by the end of next week so I need

to know which one will
go where, based on how it might "grow up".

The bed in question is hexagonal, with 6' sides. I will

be putting in 7 roses

George Burns
Intrigue
Lavaglut
Margaret Merril
Easy Going
The Fairy
Baby Grand

[snip]

I've had a George Burns for about 4 years.
First planted in a raised bed, never did well,
transplanted to a container (about a year ago)
and is doing much better but still acts more like
a mini. It is (for me) a very low grower - about 6"
"tall" - and about 12" wide at its widest. It blooms
reliably but not profusely, getting at most a couple
of blooms at once, and more often only one bloom
at a time. Although right now, the spring flush
has 6 blooms or buds at one time.

I'm on my second Intrigue, having killed off
the first somehow. It gets about 3' tall for
me and about 2' wide. It tends to bloom
reliably.

The others I don't have. I'm curious to know
experiences other rose growers have had
with these roses.

Gail
San Antonio TX Zone 8