Old 24-12-2009, 01:11 AM posted to aus.gardens
Norman[_2_] Norman[_2_] is offline

Default Tomato Problem

Thank you very much for taking the time to give me advice in such detail. I
really appreciate your help and advice.

Many thanks.

Norman

"gunner" wrote in message
access...

"Norman" wrote in message
.au...
I have tomatoe plants that start off great, then when they are about 18
inches tall and quite bushy, the top leaves start turning black and curl
up
and die. This then gradually spreads down the whole plant and it then dies
completely.

What is the problem and how can I stop this spreading to my other tomato
plants.

My brother who lives 200 kilometres away from me is also having the same
problem.with his tomato plants

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Norman

Pics to compare yours with known issues:

From the Texas A&M aggie site:
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/p...problemsolver/

From Colorado:
http://www.ext.colostate.edu/PUBS/Garden/02949.html

Its most likely a wilt . Possibly a blight.

Not much can be done at this stage, except a good clean up.

Don't plant Tomes there next year. Certainly try crop rotation and give
good
thought to a bit of soil remediation along your philosophy lines.
I am a strong advocate of soil testing so as to have a known starting
point,
rather than the traditional; a bit of this, a bit of that. There are tips
in
the two references, but above all, do try more resistant plants with that
soil test.

FWIW, these are dot edu sites, not dot com, so not as many granola group
tales to sort thru.

Good luck